I'm always looking for a way to get more vegetables (or any vegetables for that matter) into my 2 1/2 yr old. So, I was elated to find another veggie muffin recipe in the September 2011 issue of Parenting Magazine and just had to give it a try. The original recipe was a bit bland so I've changed a few things to make them more flavorful. Enjoy!
7 oz. of peeled, seeded and roughly chopped butternut squash (about 1/2 a medium sized squash)
1 cup light brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
6 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries (aka Craisins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a food processor, finely chop the butternut squash. Add sugar and eggs and whiz to combine.
- Add salt, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and oil and whiz until combined.
- Stir in Craisins with a wooden spoon- reserving a few for the top of each muffin if you wish.
- Evenly distribute the batter among the muffin cups and top with remaining Craisins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a wooden skewer or knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!